home Home     Contact Contact    School Profile School Profile    Site Map SiteMap
SEARCH
 
  
History of the School

Judge Overton

 

John Overton High School is located in the southern portion of Davidson County in Nashville, Tennessee. The school's property was once Judge John Overton's peach orchard. John Overton's home, now known as Traveller's Rest, is within one mile of the school. The Civil War battle of Nashville was fought in part on the school's property. The school was opened in September of 1958 in the incorporated city of Oak Hill. Naturally, it was named for Judge John Overton. The first principal was Edmond Tipton. Overton has a long history of excellence both in academics and extracurricular programs.

Facts About Our School

Year School Built 1958
Addition and Renovation 1974, 1995, 2009
Square Footage 242,864
Number of Students 1,680
Grades Served 9-12
School Hours 7:05 - 2:05
School Colors White, Red, Black
School Mascot Bobcat